Tuesday 20 January 2015

Driving Instructors Calling Time

Qualified driving school Nottingham

Even a driving instructor's got to have a life.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy to be busy. Couple of years ago there was a period when I thought it was all over. I'd go any distance to pick up pupils and bend over backwards to keep them as work levels were so low. Now times have changed and it seems driving instructors now have a better set of problems to deal with.
  Being self employed it's difficult to turn away work. It's certainly not something I enjoy doing. Yet things are so busy I'm working more hours than I said I would. It can get a bit depressing getting up on a Sunday morning to go do lessons. It means that there is not a day when I don't open my eyes and then just stay in bed. Everybody needs time for life and driving instructors are no exception.
   Pupils and their parents don't seem to think we are due a bit of rest. They will actually call at 11.00pm on a Saturday night. Now that's something I just would not do unless I was calling for an ambulance. I like to think that it's inappropriate to call anyone I don't know at such an ungodly hour. When I do talk to potential pupils they seem put out when I won't start at 6.00am or work until 10.00 at night. They might be ready for a lesson at 5 o clock on a Sunday afternoon but I am not.
   When the lessons have finished the job is far from over. Getting home means a quick coffee and a fag and then on goes the laptop. After answering any phone messages it's on to the emails. I always respond to messages as I don't want to get a reputation for ignoring enquiries but it can go on for an hour or so if I'm not careful. An hour of unpaid work after a really long day on the road can be so draining. Don't want to sound like I'm moaning but I'm sure other instructors know what I mean. I've only got time to write this because I've had a cancellation.
   It's important that we don't overwork ourselves. If we allow ourselves to get fatigued then the lesson quality is bound to suffer. As we know this can have dangerous consequences in the long run. I think we have to learn to say no sometimes. Future pupil numbers are never guaranteed and it's wise to make hay while the sun shines. Trouble is the sun has been shining for over a year now and shows no signs of slowing down. Could we relax a bit knowing that the next few months will be OK? I think we can. Not everyone is busy according to what I see on the internet but here in Nottingham it is booming. Let's not overdo it out there and forget what it's like to have fun. Over and out.



No comments:

Post a Comment